The secret to successful weight loss. . .drum roll please. . .is that there is no secret. There is no magic pill someone has been holding in a top secret vault, the owners of which have been waiting for the perfect moment to give to the masses. Are you still holding your breath for an easy way to lose weight? There is good and bad news in that regard. It won’t be easy, but it isn’t as hard as you think either.
If you want a weight loss program that works, consider these points:
1. If you drink more water, you will naturally make your body more alkaline, which makes it easier to lose weight. Water also fills you up so you are less likely to overeat. Water makes your skin beautiful and plumps your cells. It makes ridding the body of waste easier and aids your immune system. Make drinking water part of your weight loss program.
2. Reducing your stress won’t melt calories off your frame, but it will keep your body from thinking it has to be on high-alert and store belly fat which it does when in high-stress situations (to mimic stress which our ancestors experienced when they couldn’t eat until they caught the next Woolie Mammoth). Instead of stressing out, go on a walk (and burn some calories) while also lowering the fight-or-flight response of your nervous system.
3. Any good weight loss program will address how you eat consistently and how much you move. Any good program will require that you change your eating habits and get more active. A plan that tells you otherwise is just a lie.
4. Want the ‘secret’ of losing weight and staying thin? Stop eating empty calories. It isn’t the amount of calories so much as the type of calories you put in your body. While you cannot expect to burn fat if you consume more than you eat, if you take the focus to just putting ‘good’ calories in your body, you will be too full to put the ‘bad’ ones in. Eat whole grains, plenty of fruits and vegetable, healthy unsaturated fats like those in olive oil and avocados, and legumes and nuts. If these foods make up the majority of your diet, then you will never have to count calories again.
Have you tried a weight loss program that offered a ‘secret’ that was more like a big fat lie? Share it with us below.
There are many weight loss programs on the Internet these days but all you really need to know about losing weight can be summarized in five easy steps. Are you ready to change your body’s chemistry and metabolism forever? Implement these changes and you will melt away fat and toxins from your body.
- Start green juicing. This is one of the fastest ways to kick start a weight loss regime. It may sounds a little extreme – to live on fruit and vegetable juice for a few days – but once you’ve tried it you will be hooked. Your skin looks amazing. You lose weight and you think more clearly. Your energy levels go through the roof and your entire body starts to regenerate cell tissues and discharge years of abuse put your body through (hey we all do). It doesn’t matter if you are already a vegetarian or you eat a six ounce steak four times a week, juicing will reboot your system and help you lose weight and feel great.
- Forget about weight loss programs and change your lifestyle. If you really want to be healthy, then you need to look at your body as a temple that can perform wondrous tasks for you if you give it the right stuff. Being healthy does not mean just ‘not sick.’ Being healthy means having a great attitude, feeling vibrant and sexy and having enough energy reserves to not only tackle your day but help someone else make their day better too. Look at what you eat as fuel for your body and not ‘food,’ per say. Get active and drink plenty of water. These changes are part of an overall attitude, not a ‘program’ or ‘fad’.
- There is no magic pill or machine that will keep you skinny. Forget everything you’ve heard about the latest weight loss pill or greatest piece of workout equipment ever made. It’s all hype. Make long-term changes in your diet and start moving and you will see changes. You can start with a pair of running shoes and a different grocery list and start to live a different life. You don’t need to spend $200 on the ab-buster or $99 a month for diet pills. Stop falling for the gimmicks.
- Find a friend. You are 65% more likely to adopt and keep a lifestyle change that will result in a thinner, healthier, more vibrant you if you do it with a friend. If you have someone in mind that could use a better attitude, and is ready to feel great and lose weight, rope them in for a dynamic-duo that will be unstoppable. Walk together. Shop together for organic, healthy fruits and vegetables. Email and call each other about progress and set-backs. It will make all the difference.
- Start small and think big. So you scarfed down a bag of Doritos today instead of drinking your last green juice or ordering a salad at the office lunch meeting. Don’t beat yourself up. Start tomorrow like it’s a brand new day and keep a great attitude. It took a lifetime of habits to create the you of today and it will take small, but consistent steps to change you into someone you want to be. Don’t give up.
Do you have a tip to forget weight loss programs and change a life-long habit? Share it with us below.
There is all kinds of interesting advice about nutrition. Do you know which nutrition facts to believe? It doesn’t matter what the latest super food is, or how the latest celebrity dropped two dress sizes in a week. Sound nutrition is not subject to season or popular urban myth. It is based in scientific research, and sometimes as old as dirt, others a new find.
Here are ten nutrition facts that you can bank on:
- Eat a variety of foods for optimum health. Our bodies are made up of over 50 trillion cells. They each require a vast array of nutrients in order to work at their peak. If you try to get those nutrients from just a few foods, then you are going to starve them of something they need. Enjoy foods that are every color of the rainbow for a vital body and mind.
- Red meat in moderation. Yes, it has a high protein content, but it takes a toll on your digestive system, often taking weeks, months, or even years to digest completely. It sits in your gut and ferments until it can work through over thirteen feet of intestinal muscle. Have you ever smelled rotting meat left out in the sun? Now imagine that smell in your intestines. While you don’t have to become a vegetarian, reducing the amount of red meat you eat or substituting it with another protein source such as fish or chicken or beans, can be a great way to get healthier.
- Phytochemicals are nature’s pharmaceuticals. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can every day. If you can afford organic – even better as they won’t have pesticide residues that are often found on everything from apples to asparagus, zucchini to rainbow chard.
- Replace simple carbohydrate like white bread and pasta with whole grains or sprouted grains. They have more life force and take longer to break down into usable components so they will help you stay full longer and decrease you chances of cardiovascular health.
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D, especially if you are a woman. You need the combination of the two because vitamin D helps the calcium be absorbed. Eating plenty now will prevent Osteoperosis later.
- Water is your body’s garbage man. Make sure to help it take out the trash by drinking lots of water.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals instead of gorging. Your stomach was only meant to accommodate food the size of your own fist at one time.
- Although red wine has phytochemicals and phenols which are beneficial, drinking in moderation is much better than getting drunk even one night a week. Have a glass of wine with dinner every once in a while, but otherwise, keep the drinking of alcoholic beverages to a minimum.
- Exercise. It can keep you young for much longer and helps combat everything from Diabetes to Heart Disease to Dementia.
- Don’t neglect your mental health. Do yoga. Take a walk outside. Pet a dog, or write a poem. They all increase your happy hormones and keep you feeling uplifted.
What other nutrition facts do you rely on to live a healthy lifestyle? Share them in the comments below.
Do you want to eat healthier but can’t figure out how you can afford it? Although healthy eating can cost a little more in the short term, long-term benefits can be gained from eating better, and these include being easier on your wallet.
Here are ten money saving tips to getting a healthier diet:
1. Eat organic, but buy on sale. Organic produce is seasonal like traditionally grown produce. If you check your neighborhood circulars, sometimes you can find a 10 pound bag of organic oranges on sales for cheaper than non-organic citrus.
2. Shop with a friend. If you don’t want to have to look all over town for the best deals in organic foods and grains, ask a friend to keep an eye out and pick up an extra bad of apples, or another pound of quinoa when it is on sale. If you do this for each other when you see a great sale, then you will both cut down on your grocery bill and your waistline.
3. One of the cheapest healthy foods is whole grain rice or brown rice. You can find coupons in the Sunday paper or check your local big box stores like Costco and Walmart or Sam’s club for large bags of brown rice. Make sure to store it in an air-tight container and use it as a foundation for healthy soups, casseroles, stir fry and other nutritious and delicious meals.
4. Buy multigrain pasta as the same type of inexpensive meal base. At around $2 a box, you can’t beat it.
5. Non-fat Greek yogurt is not only full of protein which will keep you from snaking all day on potato chips and chocolate, but it is also inexpensive if you buy large containers instead of individually sized portions. It is also full of healthy bacteria which aids in digestion.
6. Old-fashioned, steal cut oats can be used plain, with yogurt and fruit, or in recipes for muffins, breads and cakes, and costs about .30 per serving if you buy it in bulk.
7. Russet potatoes are actually a powerhouse of nutrition and very cheap. You can find an entire bag sometimes for about $5. Just bake them instead of frying them or make oven-fries to keep them nutritious instead of fattening.
8. Beans are cheap and fabulous. Every kind of bean imaginable has been the cornerstone of a nutritious and inexpensive meal in every culture for eons. Learn a good chili recipe or how to make lentil soup.
9. Don’t buy more than what you can make and eat in three days. Stop throwing away good food due to spoilage and you can save a pretty penny on the nutritious things you already buy.
10. Drink water. Water is free and even if you buy it, it is still less expensive than soda and much more healthy.
Healthy eating doesn’t need to be expensive, you just need to be creative. What other ways have you found to achieve healthy eating on a budget? Share in the comments below.
A fad is defined by Merrian Webster as an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object’s qualities. Does this sound like the latest fad diets that you’ve fallen victim to? Diet fads are called a craze for a reason. It is nuts to believe in them, but people do.
Related: 7 Popular Weight Loss Myths
Here are 9 diet lies and how to spot them so you don’t get suckered again:
- Lazy couch potato diet. That’s the title for a real fad diet. Amazing. Let’s face it anything that goes against common sense is a diet lie. We all know that sitting on your sofa eating junk food will never help you to become healthy and lose weight, so don’t get suckered if it doesn’t pass the old minimum IQ test, then it won’t help you lose weight.
- You can reset your genetic code to be thinner. This is a flat out lie. Unless you are going to show up at a lab at Harvard Medical school for your genes to be spliced and diced, you cannot alter your genetic code. It is like your fingerprint. You can work with the genetics you already have, however, to alter patterns, which are pre-existing in your family. This holds true for Diabetes and Heart Problems especially where diet is related. Eat better and get active to circumvent issues that many of your relatives have had.
- A product claims it can alter your metabolism. FALSE! While a product can change your glucose levels to alter your need to eat or lower your cravings, such as some Ayurvedic herbs will do, they cannot change your metabolism. These products will not change your metabolism, though, and you will still need to alter your overall diet and exercise. Just taking a bunch of fiber pills, for example, won’t help you lose weight and change your metabolism.
- Another weight loss lie is that you can eat whatever you want and still lose pounds. A calorie consumed is one that has to be burned, so while changing your diet to include more nutritious foods will usually cause you to lose weight, this is because you are also consuming fewer calories and feeling more satiated. Thermodynamic laws cannot be undone, even when applied to the body.
- You can’t regain the weight you lose while on _______ (fill in the blank of a product name). This is another lie. If you go back to sitting on the sofa all day and eating more calories than you burn, of course you will gain back the weight. This is why lifestyle change is so important to long-term health.
- Lose 5 pounds per week! This is another fad diet lie. It is only really safe to lose 1-2 pounds of body weight a week, otherwise you should see your doctor or a trained health professional. Weight loss of more than 2 pounds a week will usually result in weight gain once a diet or exercise regime is stopped.
- Anything that says it is 100% successful is a fad diet lie. Nothing is 100%, not even the US Postal Service.
- Fad diets often tell you that weight loss professionals don’t know what they’re talking about, but that the product they are selling you is brilliant and based on lots of research. You can pay almost any company or lab in the world to produce results that are positive to promoting your product. You cannot fake a four-year degree from a University in nutrition and alternative health.
- Start losing weight today! We’ve all wanted so badly to believe in this one, especially when that high school reunion or special date pops up without us realizing it, but let’s get real. It takes about a week to lose 2 pounds safely, so any product that tells you this is lying to you.
Did you ever hear your mother tell you, “Don’t screw up your face that way, or it will stay like that forever?” Certain childhood tales are easy to dismiss as fallacy, but when it comes to weight loss myths, we seem to have a hard time distinguishing truth from fiction. Here are seven of the most popular weight loss myths to make navigating the truth easier:
1. If you eat only ________ (fill in the blank) you will lose weight and keep it off. The reason the Atkins diet or the grapefruit diet, or any other single food diet doesn’t work long term is because your body is a complex amalgamation of cells, fluids, hormones and proteins that require a whole host of nutrients. Skip one of them and you can develop a disease like Scurvy (caused by a lack of vitamin C), which is deadly. Don’t play this type of Russian roulette with your diet.
Related; 9 Diet Lies and How to Spot Them
2. You can ignore calories. While it’s true that you need not obsess about calories, you will not lose weight or maintain a healthy body weight if you consume more calories than your body can burn. It doesn’t matter if they come from sprouted grains or pizza. It takes approximately 3500 calories to burn one pound of body fat.
3. “Eat the same time every day” is a myth. While it is better if you eat breakfast sometime in the morning and at least a few hours before lunch to keep your insulin levels from spiking due to a lack of glucose in the blood, it doesn’t matter when you eat. If you sleep late on the weekend and don’t feel like eating breakfast until its time for brunch, that is fine. You were sleeping anyway so your body didn’t need energy (i.e. glucose) to burn as readily.
4. Another weight loss myth is that you shouldn’t snack. This is pure bunk. While it does matter what you snack on and how many overall calories you consume in a day, eating healthy, small meals several times a day rather than three large ones will actually stoke the fires of your metabolism and help you to lose weight.
5. Carbohydrates make you fat is yet another myth. While processed carbs, i.e., white bread, pasta, pastry, etc. aren’t good for you because they have little dietary fiber and lots of refined sugar, carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet because they allow you to break down proteins with greater ease, and help you to feel full. If you only eat carbs, then you are suffering from a belief in myth number one. They are part of a healthy diet, not the primary source. Eat them in moderation.
Related: All carbs are bad
6. Fat is bad. This is also wrong! Only saturated fats should be avoided. Unsaturated fats like those in olive oil and avocados, for example, are extremely good for the body and necessary for everything from keeping your skin and hair beautiful to reducing your chance of cardiovascular disease.
7. Stop eating dessert. Okay yes, refined sugars are not good for you, but if you could never eat a piece of chocolate cake again, would you really stick to a diet like that? The trick, again, is moderation. Finding pleasure in food also helps you combat depression and enjoy life. Every once in a while you can have your cake and eat it too. It is part of a balanced approach to a healthy lifestyle that results in a healthier you. (But just in case you were curious, Angel food cake has one of the lowest calorie-counts of all the dessert out there.)
Know any other weight loss myths? Share in the comments below.
Are you looking for weight loss solutions that actually work? Are you tired of looking at yourself in the mirror? Do you lack confidence and self-respect? Are you lethargic and finding it difficult to just get up and go, even for a walk to the mailbox? Are you ready to make this the last year that weight loss is your New Year’s resolution?
Here are 10 weight loss solutions you can sink your teeth into:
1. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. This kicks the metabolism into overdrive and increases your weight loss success.
2. Stop eating processed, deep-fried foods. If you simply got rid of every food that comes out of a package for a week, you would start to lose weight. Things that have their own natural packaging are low in calories and don’t have the chemicals and additives that increase your body fat. Apples, oranges, whole grains, wild-caught fish and free-range chicken don’t need brightly colored cardboard boxes to advertise to your subconscious mind. These foods are naturally good for you and will help you maintain a healthy body weight.
3. Walk a little every day. Park farther from the storefront when you go shopping. Take your dog on a real walk. Call a friend and walk to a third friend’s house just to drop by. Adding these extra steps can mean the difference between fitting into tight jeans and having to wear a mu’u mu. People in Europe and New York tend to be thinner for a good reason – they walk everywhere!
4. Workout with a buddy. Working out with someone else will always keep you more motivated to stick with a new eating or exercising plan. Having someone to inspire you and keep you accountable when you feel like quitting translates to a 50% greater success rate than if you go it alone.
5. Try juicing. Although eating fruits and vegetables is a great way to get your vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, juicing them is like taking a shot of ‘oh-yea!’ intravenously. Much better for you than drugs, the juiced elements of fruits and vegetables can be more readily absorbed and ushered to the organs that need them most. A simple juice to start with is carrot, apple and celery. Carrots help the skin and heart, apples have the same ph as the body and celery is a tonic for the nervous system. There are thousands of recipes, and juicing helps to cleanse the body so that if your colon or digestive system is sluggish it can start working at optimum levels. This is a weight loss solution that you won’t want to pass up.
6. Sleep at least 8 hours a night. If you miss out on shut-eye you are more likely to consume more calories during the day to make up for a feeling of lost energy.
7. Drink lots of water. A more alkaline body will dispose of food wastes better and help you to lose weight faster.
8. 4-Bite rule. If you must eat cake, savor every bite and only cheat on your healthy new lifestyle choices once a week. That way you can have your cake and the waist you want too.
9. Cook and eat at home. Eating out is one of the fastest ways to add unnecessary calories to your daily allowance. It is also much cheaper to cook in your own kitchen.
10. Keep a positive attitude. Your emotional and mental health is just as important to your weight loss objective as what you eat and how many hours a week you exercise.
What other weight loss solutions have you tried that work?
Are you ready for the real truth about diets? Here it is…
They aren’t good for your health.
The truly healthy ways to lose weight don’t involve a diet at all. Diets put our metabolism out of whack, mess with our glucose levels and can even cause hormonal surges flooding the body with stress hormones that it doesn’t actually need.
What happens when you ‘diet’ in the traditional sense of the word?
When you reduce your calories drastically, without any attention to nutrition or exercise, namely without a true lifestyle change, you set yourself up for failure from the start. Did you know that starved brain cells actually start eating themselves? I don’t know about you but I need every last brain cell to get through my day. This self-induced cannibalism causes us to feel hunger pains and will often be the prime motivator that gets us eating that pizza two days after we reduced our calories significantly by abstaining from some of our favorite foods.
If we slowly change our body by changing our taste for healthy, nutrition packed foods, then we won’t feel like we are starving. We will feel full and satiated but without all the calorie-laden foods that have no nutritional content. One of the easiest healthy ways to lose weight is to eat more fruits and vegetables instead of highly processed foods. You’ll feel full and lose weight without attacking your own brain cells. Don’t be a cannibal. Eat and eat right!
Related; 9 Diet Lies and How to Spot Them
Starving Yourself Actually Causes You to Store Fat!
When you don’t eat enough food for your daily caloric needs, your blood glucose levels start to drop. Your tissues and organs need a good supply of blood glucose in order to function, and when you deprive them by starving yourself, you actually will slow the body’s metabolism in response to this need. The body won’t stop functioning and will rob fat stores initially for fuel, but this will only be a short-term lose of weight. As soon as the body realizes it isn’t getting any more fuel via food, it will slow the metabolism significantly in order to keep itself running.
With this method, you can end up burning fewer calories than before you started dieting and actually end up gaining the initial weight you lost and then some. A healthier way to lose weight is to increase your activity levels, get more sleep every night and slowly lower your caloric intake without drastically reducing it.
Dieting Makes You Dumb and Angry
Finally, most diets will cause you to be ravenously hungry. This not only interferes with your mental capacity but can also instigate the production of cortisol, a stress hormone that then makes it harder to lose weight. In a University of California study women were divided into two control groups. One was given a 1200 calorie-a-day diet and not told to restrict their calories while the second group was also given a 1200 calorie-a-day diet but never told their calories were being reduced. The group who had to reduce their food consumption had a cognitive and physiological response. They were stressed out!
Healthy ways to lose weight have nothing to do with overly restricting calories or dieting in the traditional sense.
In what ways can you eat better without depriving yourself?
Are you ready to get rid of your extra weight once and for all in 2012? No matter how many fad diets pass through the celebrity scene or new “revolutionary” workout regimes are touted as the latest and greatest, there are a few facts that will help you meet your physical goals and they all involve natural weight loss.
To Experience Natural Weight Loss, You Have to Let Go
Your body naturally wants to be at its most perfect weight – not too thin and definitely not too fat, but the stresses in our modern society often cause our bodies to be out of equilibrium. The first step to getting to a goal weight is to STOP THE STRESS! You’ve probably heard of the “flight or fight” reaction, a leftover coping mechanism that the parasympathetic nervous system uses to generate adrenaline and cortisol when we need to react to dangerous situations.
Over time, the body forgets how to respond to every-day demands and starts a feedback loop that begins over-straining the adrenals. These are important glands for controlling hormones and when we produce too many stress hormones, we have a tendency to hold onto extra fat – another way the body prepares for danger. If it thinks Armageddon is coming it will save your fat stores just in case you can’t eat for several days. Conversely, when you are relaxed and happy, the body sees no need to protect you from danger and stops making all those stress hormones. Your body will then naturally slim down.
To de-stress you can start with getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night and try more activities like a yoga class, Thai chi, Chi gong, meditation, practice relaxation and visualization techniques, or just find five minutes out of the day to do nothing but sit in absolute silence. Not only will you start to lose weight naturally but you will feel more uplifted mentally too.
Relaxation techniques have been known to help with everything from weight loss to smoking cessation to relief from Parkinson’s, Heart Disease and even Diabetes.
Eat Metabolism Boosting Foods
Another great way to experience natural weight loss is to eat the variety of foods that mother nature created to help boost the metabolic rate. Your metabolic rate is the average amount of energy it takes a person to get through his or her every day activities. When your metabolic rate is high, you burn more calories sitting still than someone with a lower metabolic rate does doing light exercise. There are several foods that naturally boost your metabolism:
- Water! It is truly the gift of life. It helps the cells stay clean, increases their metabolic process so they can rid themselves of toxins quicker which accelerate the process of weight loss.
- Green tea extract or green tea brewed in the smallest amounts (even two cups a day) can increase metabolism and even has anti-cancer causing properties.
- Grapefruit. This super-fruit helps to reduce the body’s insulin levels and therefore helps to curb appetite.
- Fruit and vegetables. These anti-oxidant packed foods are also full of soluble fiber that helps to fill us up. Fruits and vegetables are also usually very low in calories, so you can eat lots of them without consuming more calories than your body can burn within a day.
You don’t need to take toxic diet pills or use drastic means to get healthy. To experience true natural weight loss, start with these simple steps and you can experience a change in your body that can make you feel so great, your attitude will get an overhaul in the process!
Can you think of a way to boost your own peace today, and reduce your stress levels to experience natural weight loss?
Are you trying to find a weight loss system that actually works? You are smart enough to know that fad diets and magic pills don’t really keep the weight off for the long haul, television shows like The Biggest Loser have been happy to point out!
Losing weight takes hard work and commitment. You can expect to change some of your lifestyle habits and add new ones that work better for you, but knowing which program to use is challenging. Here are some questions to ask yourself before engaging in your assault on body fat:
- How Not to Eat Like A Super Model. Does the plan call for a sound, well balanced diet with enough calories to sustain you, yet not starve you? There have been thousands of studies proving that if you starve your body you will lose weight, but as soon as you start eating regular meals again, you’ll put it all back on again, and more. You want a weight loss system that addresses healthy caloric intake. Simply starving yourself like super model or eating nothing but a pack of Twizzlers and a Diet Coke, simply won’t give you the results you want.
- Some Foods Boost Your Metabolism! Does the plan give you real tips and tricks to boost your metabolism? There are lots of foods that naturally help you burn fat. These foods trigger the important metabolic process in your body, making the kind of calories you eat just as important as how many. Foods like eggs, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, black beans, grilled chicken and fish are the standards of a fat-loss diet. If a weight loss system tells you that you can lose weight while eating loads of ice cream and chocolate cake, don’t trust it!
- Jump, Skip and Run Towards Weight Loss. Choose a weight loss system that incorporates exercise. You can head out to your riding lawn mower to trim the back 40 acres or push a hand-mower to burn extra calories. You can hang glide, scuba dive or take ballet lessons. You can run, jog, jump, box, do yoga, climb stairs, or swim. There are endless forms of movement and if you want to be thin, strong and vibrant, your lifestyle MUST include movement.
- Stop Stressing! Choose a weight loss system that addresses the need to eliminate or reduce stress. Did you know that if your body doesn’t get enough sleep, you tend to eat more throughout a regular day? Did you know that stressed out people have a harder time burning fat because the body thinks that it is in fight-or-flight mode and hangs on to fat as a means to save you from starvation? Taking yoga, meditating, or spending more time in nature can all help you reduce your stress and your waistline.
A weight loss system that works will always incorporate these important principles. How might you change your life today with one small corrective action from these suggestions?